Tuesday, June 19, 2007

How cheap is cheap?

When it comes to setting a price on your time and skills it's something that is not easily done.
When I started writing I was happy if I made a few $$, now I know more about how to value my work.

First of all I'd like to say that everything depends on where in the world you live.
I live in Brazil where $5 means almost R$10. If you get R$10 an hour you can say you are pretty well off. My husband gets something like R$15/day! ( If I calculated right, anyway he doesn't get much)

So if I can make R$10 from writing a review or story or something then that means that I earn more for a few minutes work than he does all day.

If you live in the U.S, then $5 might not seem like a great deal. Once again it depends on where in the U.S you live.

But even my prices are expensive if you compare to the people in India.

One thing I have learned is that you have to not sell yourself too cheap.
So what that I live in Brazil, is my work less worth than someone in the U.S?
If I am a good writer, then what does that have to do with where I live?

Today I will not write for just a $ here or there, I value my time and my work more.
It´s not easy, every writer knows that, but being too cheap can also harm you.
Every time someone asks me how much they should charge, and I am far from an expert, then I always say to stay in the middle but not go too cheap.

How cheap is cheap?

1 comment:

sophica said...

you can be your own boss by freelancing
here is one freelancing website
www.greatlance.com